Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Plates of Plastic

So originally, the idea for the "Plates of Plastic" came from an inside joke between my roommates and I. To be short, it was a humorous account of our "wars, and contentions, and times of peace and prosperity" as roommates. It was always just an idea though. I don't really know why we never actually did record those funny events on plastic plates.... I guess that will be for a later time...

But for today, The Plates of the Plastic will be different. I've had another idea, but because I'm horrible at titles, I'm reusing this one until I can think of something else. I think it works well for this theme too.
We've all heard of people, LDS and non-LDS alike, criticize the church for its stance on numerous things that seem out of touch with the mainstream culture, especially when it comes to things like the recent Prop 8. We know the basic drum roll: "How dare you get involved in politics, what right have you to do that!?" or "Shame on you, bigots!" or "Stop spreading your church's hate and lies!" or "The big white men of your church are just controlling you,!" or "Think for yourselves you idiots!" etc. (and before anyone calls me out for stereotyping the opposition, let me just make it clear that I'm merely quoting things, (almost verbatim, but I had to censor out some profanity and such), that have actually been said to my face and elsewhere). Not only are these inflammatory comments directed at the general membership, but they're especially intended for the General Authorities as well.

Of course all are entitled to their own opinion, but I've always found it kinda ironic that the church supposedly has no right in just publicly declaring what we stand for (whatever the topic is), but then our opponents feel that they can not only control the politics of the issues, but also try to get involved in matters of private religion in telling people what they can and can't believe.

But I won't go into too much commentary about that. Today I'm just going to present a little food for thought, primarily intended for an LDS audience. (So if you're not LDS, feel free to tune or... or keep reading if you're curious, I don't care :)

The big prompt for this idea of mine, and the question I'd like to ask: If we had lived in the days of our fathers of old, would we have said the same things to the prophets then, as we are saying to the ones we have now? We'd like to think that those instances in the past are way different than what's happening now.
But then... is it? Think about it, how are they really that different?

Suppose for a minute that they had blogs, or Opinion Editorials, or Twitter accounts, or what have you. Would the Nephites' commentary about Samuel the Lammanite, or Captain Moroni, or Alma, etc. be that unrecognizable from the things we see today? Just to give a few examples.

It's just something I've always wondered whenever I see people post inflammatory things online about the church and its leaders. And so this version of the Plates of Plastic was born, as a means to pose an honest question to faithful and non-faithful LDS's alike.

So what say you? Do you think that spoof articles about the ancient controversies would make a good point, or is it going too far?

1 comment:

  1. In olden times, people had to, you know, actually show up to ridicule Noah or to throw rocks at Samuel the Lamanite. Our modern day technology makes it much easier to reject the prophets from the anonymous convenience of a keyboard.

    ReplyDelete

Profound Simplicities

There is a passage in the Book of Mormon where Nephi glories in plainness. This comes shortly after he quotes chapters of Isaiah verbatim. T...