Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Contemporary Poetry according to Alice

In my Creative Writing class, we were recently assigned to write 6 poems, each one a specific genre/style/whatever....

These are my 3 favorites from the 6 (translation: these are the only ones I think I did right...)
The first is an Elegy (dedicated to the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies)
The second is a Love Poem
and the third is... well... it was supposed to be a Sonnet, but I don't think it really came out that way. See, the teacher had this weird thing where our Sonnets could be free verse instead of rhymed, so I tried that and.... yeah, I think it was too free verse, because there's not much Sonnet-like meter to it. BUT I STILL LIKE IT!!!
So here ya go. Criticism's please! :)



THE FAITHFUL HEART
Here the traveler’s drift

through thick and thin

and hellish grim,

show us what we really are.

Their tale will tell it all.


Consumed by winds

And beaten by toil,

Pursued by wolves,

And devoured by snow

Your continued march

Showed the fangs of death

An impenetrable heart



Compelled by faith

And driven by trust

Humility’s lessons

And conviction’s truth

Beats the pains of skin

Loosening the frozen chains

Of nature’s cruelest rebuke



Who among us now

Comforted in satin sheets

And marvelous décor

Would sacrifice the safest shawl

And tread our ways through

Such a frostbitten peril?



Yet here the sunken faces

And blank expressions

From vibrant souls who once against

This irrational gamble toiled

Are forever laid to rest

At this trail’s end—

Or is it the beginning?

Triumphant over death,

Triumphant over life!


THE TRUTH THAT LOVE KNOWS
Movies show the pictures
And music paints the rhyme.
But reality doesn’t bother—
It’s something we all see in time.

Love knows no such thing!
For immediately she forgets
A singer’s selfless song
And painters’ simplistic vignettes

Love knows something else
For love sees more
To that awful stalwart knight
You so mindlessly adore!

Romantic poems falter
And pathetic plays shall fade
When through the looking glass
You will find you’ve been betrayed!


MY ANGEL’S TATTERED WINGS
Sometimes I may wonder, as I sit in endless sculpture,

What point there is in trying, molding from this lowly clay

This mindless creature, sampled from the slowest dust

Made to replace these thorns and thistles—

Creating something new.

Broken by the wind, and shattered by the light

Epithets engraved on her poor head’s image

And tattered wings bearing my name,

Oh what a hopeless endeavor!

Will anyone look upon my grave,

And with courage declare to friends--

In spite of moss’s growth, and fractured marble stone--

At least this person tried,

More can be said for her than I!

2 comments:

  1. "The Faithful Heart": Vivid imagery. Masterful language in the second stanza--consumed, beaten, pursued, devoured. Sets up a nice juxtaposition for the third stanza--compelled by faith, driven by trust. First stanza: "Hellish grim." It seems like you have an adjective modifying another adjective with no noun. Is it a typo for "grime"?

    And what's the deal with the Tattered Wings "sonnet"? Rhyme scheme is an inflexible ABAB CDCD EFEF GG. Meter is an equally inflexible iambic pentameter. At least that's what my high school lit teacher told me. LOL. But she was sixty-five and wore gun metal gray glasses with a brightly beaded lanyard.

    - Todd aka Roper from Cumberland Gate

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hellish grim"--> no it's not a typo, it just felt right writing it that way, but I see your point.
    Here's the deal with the Sonnet: apparently, the professor didn't care if our sonnets rhymed or not, and the examples he gave us from our Book of Contemporary American poetry were all free verse. So his expectations on the Sonnet were confusing, as went against everything I knew prior about them. I wrote Tattered Wings last, and was absolutely sick of poetry, so by that time I didn't want to bother with meters and such... heh, at least he gives us opportunities to revise them for a better grade!

    ReplyDelete

Profound Simplicities

There is a passage in the Book of Mormon where Nephi glories in plainness. This comes shortly after he quotes chapters of Isaiah verbatim. T...