So Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty has been suspended from the show for statements he made in an interview with GQ that weren't all that gay friendly.
That's not surprising, nor is it surprising that you've got people applauding the suspension on the one hand, and people protesting it on principles of Free Speech on the other.
I never really watched Duck Dynasty, unless you count that one episode I saw with my dad late at night. Something about the guys getting this genius idea to remodel the front office into some lounge arrangement while boss Phil was away on business arguing with his wife/momma (I don't remember who she was) about buying goats. Oh and then the said goats messed up the back seat of his nice car on the way back to the office.
Yeah, it was weird.
Anyway, I don't really have that much stake in the issue. I mean, it annoys me that he was fired for expressing his beliefs in a forum where he was ASKED for them, but hey, whatever, right?
Actually, I can't help but kinda laugh at this, because this whole thing started shortly after I made my last post, "Don't Tread On Me." And you know what? It proves my whole point.
A&E as a business reserves the right to suspend Phil Robertson if they feel his values reflect poorly on their business, and as a customer, I can stop watching their network for it.
So if A&E reserves the right to discriminate against a person's religious beliefs (and yes, it is religious discrimination however poorly Phil may have expressed himself) when said beliefs come in direct conflict with their values... why can't the small, mom and pop bakery refuse to cater a gay wedding if gay weddings run contrary to their business's values?
Really, you can't argue against discrimination on the one hand, and then applaud it on the other when it benefits you. It just doesn't work that way. That's arguing on principles of selfish ideological convenience, not equality. Either one must apply an absolutist anti-discrimination policy ALL across the board in ALL instances, or one admits that there are some instances, within reason, where private businesses can and should be allowed to discriminate, which is exactly what this issue with A&E does.
If A&E can fire Phil Robertson because his religious statements conflict with their business values, then I can refuse to photograph a gay wedding because sponsoring that venue conflicts with mine.
*throws hands in the air*
I'm just sayin......
A place where one can joke, muse and/or complain about the happenings of the world. Formerly known as Shadow of the Mountain. Don't worry, I still like mountains!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Profound Simplicities
There is a passage in the Book of Mormon where Nephi glories in plainness. This comes shortly after he quotes chapters of Isaiah verbatim. T...
-
Things have really picked up since the last time I posted. Last time I was not in very good shape. Illustration’s final rejection hit...
-
Okay, now I'm mad!!!!! I had such a wonderfully written second blog post, and I'd even saved the draft regularly several times. Th...
-
Teehee, so funny little story... I come onto my blog to make a new post, and for the life of me I couldn't find the "New Post"...
No comments:
Post a Comment