Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Regarding the NFL Protests

Apparently, several NFL teams have been protesting by not standing or even being present for the national anthem lately. Honestly, I wouldn't have known anything about it since I don't watch professional football... or even sports period for that matter. Well, okay, sometimes I do, but usually no. So were it not for many furious posts on my Facebook newsfeed, I would have known nothing about this. Now that I do, I'm here to give my two cents about it.

This is not going to be a popular opinion, but oh well.

1. Do I think it is disrespectful to protest the national anthem? Yes.
2. Do I personally think that it is a misdirected target for the NFL players' frustrations (i.e. wrong place, wrong time)? Yes.
3. Regardless, do I still think that it is their right as American citizens to peacefully protest as they see fit, and will I stand by that right? ABSOLUTELY YES!

And I am not going to spend useless time and energy getting mad about how apparently unamerican they are. Why would I even waste time doing that if they're just throwing a temper tantrum anyway? There are better things for me to do. Yet we so spend so much energy getting up on these pointless soap boxes that we don't stop and think:
Is the beauty of America being able to say: "Look, I don't agree with what you believe or are saying, but I will still defend your right to believe/say it?" Or is it: "How dare you not stand for the anthem, this is a free country dangit, now stand up you whiny snowflakes! USA! USA! USA!"

Think about that really long and hard for a minute.

Because if it's the latter position you take, may I submit that you yourselves don't actually understand what freedom means in this country. You claim to value freedom of speech, and yet want to force/punish those who choose not to stand for the anthem, all supposedly in the name of said freedom? What?

To be clear, I was always taught to stand for the anthem, and I do. I was taught to place my hand over my heart, and I do. I was taught to respect our military for the sacrifices they make, and I do. Deeply. Even with the many political/societal ills present in this country, I will still salute the flag as what it represents to me supersedes all those problems. It is not a symbol of President Trump, racism, or of our past/present blunders. Rather, it is a symbol of the ideal, what our country values, strives for, and unites under; the essence everything our military fights for.

So yes, in that regard I think the anthem is a misdirected, if not highly ironic target for those protests. And yet, I will still respect their right to do so.

Because if I am to truly respect our military, shouldn't I also respect those sacred rights that they give their lives for? Or does that only apply when protests are convenient for me?

Of course, you also have the right to voice how offensive the NFL players' decision is to you. That is true. But with that energy, are you just going to continue to go on what are frankly hypocritical and faux-patriotic rants in an echo chamber these players will probably never hear?
Or are you going to take the time to listen and perhaps open a dialogue wherewith we can find solutions to the problems these people are so concerned about? And by so doing, perhaps bring us all back together in the arms of American brotherhood that will give us all the more reason to stand for our flag?

Or is it just easier to keep complaining and act no better than they are?

Your pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Profound Simplicities

There is a passage in the Book of Mormon where Nephi glories in plainness. This comes shortly after he quotes chapters of Isaiah verbatim. T...