Friday, November 30, 2012

Final Portfolio

For those of you who are interested, here are the pieces I ended up submitting for my application.

Yes, this great portfolio that has caused me great pain and sleep deprivation.  I am literally running on two and half hours of sleep right now, because I was up all night finishing this, and then I still to worry about compiling my sketchbook to boot.

But now.... it is done!  I have officially applied for the Illustration Department at BYU.  As a back up, I also applied for Drawing/Painting/Print Making.  Either one could work, but Illustration is my first choice.  I can apply to each department up to two times, so here's to hoping I get into my first choice the first time.
The application (except for the sketchbook) was to be submitted online by midnight, November 30th.  And yes, I did complete it at around 11:59, mountain standard time, November 30th, 2012. Ohhhhhh gooossssshhhh! 8[

The application required that I submit a portfolio of ten of my best pieces, plus a creative exercise and a sketchbook.  My sketchbook was a bit, errr.... interesting, because it basically consisted of me compiling a bunch of drawings from multiple sketchbooks (because I literally have like ten billion of them, all of which are hopelessly fragmentary), and pasting them into one.  Note, they did say I could do this, and I think that my sketchbook was pretty good, all pasting set aside... I just hope they don't mind the extent to which I did the pasting. Aaaaaand, I took a peek at some of the other sketchbooks sitting in the box outside the office, and needless to say, some of them made me feel rather mediocre.  :/

But forget about that.  Sketchbook problems aside, I felt that I had a fairly good portfolio together.  The question is whether or not it would be competitive enough to please the faculty above the other, like, 30 applicants they have this semester (of which, they accept around half at most).  Okay, stop thinking about the negatives Alice, just keep smiling and remember that you did apply to two areas, and that you can always apply again if you don't get in..... heeeeheeeeeheeeeee..... ooooohhhhh gosh, this is going to be a long four weeks. >.<

Anyway, without further a due, here is my final portfolio.  For your personal viewing only, do not copy, or redistribute... IS MINE!



This one was the creative exercise.  The exercise was a sheet with different shapes/lines in each square, and you had to make something out of them.  It could have been whatever you wanted.  For mine, I decided to make it into one picture that told a story kind of thing.  If you look closely, the headline reads "Enchanted Housing Ends Now, All Ghosts To Be Evicted!"  I hope they like it.


Pheonix thing.  I painted this a long time ago, but only recently added the background.


Mountains, done in my VA 115 class last semester.


Bikini woman standing on one foot.  Note, the Illustration Department wanted to see a demonstration of good figure drawing skills, hence the naked women you will see in this blog post.


More figure drawing.  This one was my favorite, and most successful, even though it took forever to get right.


More of an abstract thing.  Fish in ambiguous space... or a funky fishbowl, if you want to think of it like that.


Sweet, sweet nectar.  Behold the honey bee in its natural habitat. :)


'Dis is my Ans, in water colors and pastels.  :D


Still life of a potted plant, done in ball point pen.


Another figure drawing.  This one wasn't so great, and I honestly could have just left it out, but whatever.  It shows progression I guess.


And last but not least, another still life, done in graphite.

And that's all folks.  Now go away, so I can go to bed! >:P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Profound Simplicities

There is a passage in the Book of Mormon where Nephi glories in plainness. This comes shortly after he quotes chapters of Isaiah verbatim. T...